Played Some Rush Poker part i

Played a huge low buy-in multi-table tournament using the Rush engine. It was standard Texas Hold'em poker but on speed. I didn't really have a strategy although I (unwisely) toyed with a couple throughout. Not that I could really learn anything from one tournament, and probably it would have been far better to stick with one style one day and try another the next. It wasa rebuy tournament which motivated me to veer off course a couple of times in the early levels.

Those low rebuys are really dangerous as the safety net is never going anywhere so to speak and pretty soon you are investing a lot more than maybe you wanted to. Probably want to really test things with an Omaha poker version to see what my limits are.

I noticed a couple of things, for one... people actually tightened up after the rebuys ended. I suspect it w as much in a regular tournament but I was a half-expecting them to keep playing a little more aggressive as they did in the early levels. Arguably, you could say I should I have suspected them to tighten up even moreso than they did because the nature of the game affords you the opportunity to quickly “wait” for big hands.

As I was playing, I also wondered to myself if stalling or simply not "Rushing" by pre-selecting the fold button was a strategy or not. I read one online multi table tournament Texas Hold'Em poker player who believes you should use your time to the fullest on every hand because of the value you gain from outlasting other players. Some suggest he is taking sound mathematics a little to the extreme but considering the volume of tournaments he plays even a miniscule edge translates to a bigger edge long run right.

Would the principle hold the same in Rush tournament poker (more likely when the rebuy period ended)? Or should you try and see as many hands as quickly as possible when the blinds are low OR throughout the tournament. It certainly didn’t seem like anybody was employing the stall and wait tactic on the tables I zipped in and out of as the tournament progressed. Afterall, the speed of the game induces action and I imagine you can get 3x, maybe 4x or 5x more hands in quick-folding than you can the other way.

I also wondered with the rebuy should you be looking for excuses to shove early on, and shove quickly to build a stack when your safety net is there or let other people get it in with bad hands and use the Rush function as a luxury to pick up more big hands vs. bad shoves. Certainly other players were shoving weak and employing this tactic. I also noticed a weird kind of motion to the tournament. For some stretches it would feel like I’d run into a series of loose tables and then they’d tighten up. It was almost wave like. They say human brains have a compulsion to detect patterns even when there aren’t any (one of the reason psychedelics are so powerful) so maybe the motion was imaginary but it did feel wave like and almost had a rhythm.

It’s self evident that if you try to adapt to the table dynamics, as you might in live poker, you will be lost. In Rush you are forced to play a different game, one of your own making. Do you either apply some sort of starting hand standards with basic positional strategy, and what percentage of hands should you play, is tight right or loosey goosey better in the early rounds? As I said, I alternated between all these spots—in effect, doing none rather than doing all. What I might have done consistently was look to see cheap flops in position and hope to hit big hands (but when don’t I do that?).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crapped on the Head and Kicked in the teeth part 2

Corona Virus Tips

Thank You!