Tournament Poker, Sunglasses and More Part II


It’s brick city.

Hmm. A joy in Texas Hold em poker is knowing where you are in the hand. I figure his ace to be weak, at best, and wonder if he is on a better flush draw. Not a straight out there. Maybe he has a decent K or was just floating me. A set is possible so too a weird two pair, but I feel genuine weakness. He checks and I fire out another bet.

A check here from me, is reasonable, but then I’m only playing the hand one way and that’s hoping to hit a card. I rationalize a bet here would be warranted by an ace to protect against the flush so why not. I fire and he stews. Then he gets his dander up and asks to see my paltry stack size. I love this tell in poker tournaments once, you know the player it’s either 100% strength or 100% weakness. This guy it was weakness. He puts exactly half of it in.

Oh. Well. I consider just shoving it in and hoping to hit. The bet size wasn’t quite giving me the odds to call, but if I hit, he had to call my shove so I decided to call. If I missed I could check or fold and still have crumbs to play with.

Sure enough, I missed. He checked shaking his head. Hmm, maybe I could get him off a bigger flush draw. Just felt like my remaining stack was to small for fold equity and maybe he had a pair with the draw. So, I tapped behind. He showed a king, the table shook their head like no way that would be good. As they had actually been paying attention to my tight selection of hands.

I shrugged. I pulled up my cards not protecting them to look at my busted flush draw. I didn’t care if the players besides me saw why I couldn’t beat a King. Then I saw what I held. The flush draw I was on, nope, wasn’t there. I just had a meager 53 offsuit. If I had a ton of chips, I’d be happy to share that reckless image, instead I’m sure those guys were almost as I surprised as I was.

I shook my head and cast them to the muck quickly lest anybody as to see my cards as I was dangerously close to outright exposing them. All I could think was WTF? Am I that blind that I can mistake a club for a spade?


Way to just burn through most of my chips. Why not look back a little sooner and discover I’m in deep with nothing. Terrible mistake number one.

I try to not let that effect me but I can’t really help lingering on it. I manage to get some chips again but I was still short. So, struggling to stay alive, I’m looking for spots to get it in and double up or at least steal some blinds.

I see KQ and that’s going to be it. Then before I move I spy the button, the tightest player at the table, indicate he’s going to play the hand by the way he put his cards under the chip-protector. AK, AQ and more pop through my head. May not be the best spot.

I say F it, which is always a losing strategy, and I’ve never said F it and won a hand, but again I say F it, and shove.

Folds to him. He steeples, like a monk at mass. “Oh, fun!” I think. Same thing he did when he had the nuts, earlier in a the night. Bam! He moves all his chips in over the top. The two blinds fold like a guillotine was about to come down on their hands.

I turn over my KQ defeated. He shows AA. That makes sense, I think. “I was afraid of that,” I verbalize in that saving face before elimination patter that I find annoying when other players do it, but couldn’t stop myself from. I resent myself for a moment. So the flop came…

To be continued in the next post…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monkey's Minions, WSOP Thoughts...

Main Event Blood Bath

Discovery Channel Poker Pilot in New Orleans