Early thoughts on the IP

Played Halloween day at the IP and it was ghoulish for me. In the noon tournament I finished in the 30s in a small field. With only 119 entrants it felt like a Harrahs wednesday tournament, except the structure allowed for some play. I started out pretty hot, flopping a flush in the big blind (82) and winning a pot as chasers called and didn't connect. Got aces with everybody folding to the button who limped. I raised, BB folded, button called. He folded post-flop. Then I made a good read on a guy that he held more than me. His Ace-five (Aces full of 5s) would have crushed my AK (aces and 5s with King kicker). I list those hands because they were the only significant ones I got involved in until I went card dead.



When I say card dead I mean zombie dead. 7-2, 7-2, 7-2, 8-2, 8-3, 7-2. It was also one of those days where I didn't even get to sweat flops. Even my folded hands weren't connecting. I guess if I were a better player I could have made something from nothing. However, every move I tried to make was usually smacked down by real hands. Very frustrating. I kept reminding myself poker is a game of patience. However, when I realized I could have let me stack blind out and I would have had more chips and finished higher it was more than frustrating. I got knocked out when I got outkicked--at least I got one sweat.



I played the 2nd chance tournament at 6pm with about 40 heads. Things did not improve. I truly don't remember winning a pot. I played with Monkey Boy, maybe the most well known "talkative" player on the coast, and have to admit I like his card selection and his "rap" works for him. At least he gave me something else to focus on. Me and him both sniffed out aces from a limper two under the gun when he pushed after a raise. We were right. The guy who called him, despite Monkey Boy's table chatter almost giving it away, was wrong. I got short-stacked and didn't connect when I had to make my stand.



Time for a change of venue, so we went to the Beau Rivage. After a brutal hour or so at the cash tables where my hands didn't improve but I was able to steal some pots, I return to the IP for the capper. The midnight turbo $60 deep stack tournament. 24 players paid the $10 dealer toke, the $10 registration fee and ignored the fact the satellites or sit n' gos offered more bang for the buck.



Sho 'nuff I don't recall winning a hand in that tournament either. I fell into woe is me and comparing misfortune with another player and realized I was becoming the donkfish I hate from afar. Mercifully, that tournament ended and I called it a night.



Now for some general thoughts on the IP's tournament.



They held everything on the third floor with most of the play in a room I didn't even know existed until that day. The room was a step down from the spacious facilities they had at the last two tournaments but had about 16 tables. The old area is under construction for what looks like some great new restaurants and a new playing space.



The sit 'n gos and satellites are held where the slots used to be surrounding the poker area. I don't know where slots went to. As for accommodations, I must say this, the room I was booked in was significantly nicer than the rooms I had stayed in the past. The beds were higher quality, so too the new flat panel TVs, and shower. Not yet on par with George at Gulf Coast Rentals luxury but getting there.



I will get back to the IP next week and hope to cover the tournaments in a little more detail. Right now I'm gearing up for the Acadiana Poker series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crapped on the Head and Kicked in the teeth part 2

Corona Virus Tips

Thank You!