World Cup: World 0 Goals 0... Bet on Ties III

Obviously, I believe there are still large differences between a college football and a NFL football, which nobody ever mentions in the arduous transition process for QBs. Though far more minutae goes into any sports bet made by certain people. There are a myriad of other things, far more influential than the ball change to point to for the paucity of success for rookie quarterbacks but I bet it takes a little bit of getting used to as well going from college to the NFL.

NFL quarterbacks of course have the entire offseason to prepare, but what if you gave them the new ball right before the playoffs. For many teams, that’s exactly what FIFA has done. Wouldn't that change say Basketball odds
if they suddenly gave everybody a new ball. There are players that have pointed to the numeruous goalkeeping errors as proof of the ball’s influence on the game, but what I found interesting before the tournament was one goalkeeper who said this new ball may be even tougher for on the field players to use.

He was right the inaccurate passes are usually long, the free kicks and missed shots are far more likely to go over the goal than beside it. Every skilled player on the soccer field who has a ball at his feet is a quarterback on a bootleg for a moment. Any pass or shot requires skill, touch, and deftness while on the run. Watching David Beckham pinpoint a 50 yard cross is just as impressive to me as Peyton Manning threading the needle 30 yards downfield but the ball, so far, has prevented this type of skill from being on display.

Not that casual sports fans would necessarily register it. I can’t appreciate many elements of baseball because I haven’t played the game. I just see MLB players make the play look routine and think of it as that way, even if it’s not. The same is true for the neutral observer in soccer. They don’t know how hard it is to hit an outside of the foot pass thirty yards to a player in stride. Like a new weekend hacker suddenly can tolerate watching golf on TV because they understand just how it is to play, people that played competitive soccer in high school or past it (none of that kiddie ball we all played as tots) can see moments of brilliance in what to the uninformed looks routine.

I watched the Uruguay game and appreciated the tactics of it, but I wouldn’t expect an NFL fan to get the same enjoyment out of it. Afterall, I watched a no-hitter live as a high-schooler in Philadelphia (Terry Mullholland or maybe Tyler Green—can’t recall—you can tell what an impression it left on me). What I learned from that game is for seven innings a no-hitter is an excruciatingly boring game (for somebody that was never into the sport like myself), that suddenly got non-boring in the 8th and 9th innings because it was one of those rare games that was extradordinarly excruciatingly boring and you were rooting for nothing to continue to happen.

Baseball fans would tell me I watched a gem. However, if the opposition had gotten a couple of hits and scored a run or two in the 8th, it would have been just a snooze. Because they were especially off that day it was a special event? Because they didn’t get one hit, I should count myself lucky to have been there. I don’t think so. Saying that, I realize purists think of me as idiotic. Point is I don’t expect people to appreciate the nuances and sublties in soccer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crapped on the Head and Kicked in the teeth part 2

Corona Virus Tips

Thank You!